RSS

President Bush on Saudi rape case

Filed Under: Labels: , , ,
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Tuesday that Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah "knows our position loud and clear" on the punishment of the victim of a gang rape.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNdx3zEQ5-Q

However, Bush said he did not recall having raised the issue during a recent telephone conversation with the king.

The woman was sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in prison for violating the kingdom's strict Islamic law by being alone with an unrelated man before the rape.

The president said during a White House news conference that upon learning of the case, "My first thoughts were these: What happens if this happened to my daughter? How would I react? And I would have been ... I would have been very emotional, of course.

"I'd have been angry at those who committed the crime. And I would be angry at a state that didn't support the victim.

"And our opinions were expressed by [White House press secretary] Dana Perino from the podiu

| edit post